Chillin Chillin...

Friday, February 24, 2006

IT Jobs... Permanent or Contracting

With the exception of a 3 or 4 month contract in between jobs in 2002, I have always had a permanent job. I loved that 3 or 4 months. The money was coming in. I think it was something around a 30% increase in take home. Not sure why I have always looked for permanent positions opposed to contracting gigs. Maybe it's the medical benefits, the 401(k), stability, and vacation. That was my reasoning, but I have recently found out that most contractors that go through recruiters have these same benefits.

So what is the advantage of a full-time position? Salaried employees always seem to make less money. That's at least the impression I have gotten. If you have the skill set, you shouldn't have to worry about finding another job if the contract ends early. It seems to me a lot of people out there are taking advantage of this. Maybe I should consider it? Still need to find out more information on it. So if there is anyone out there with something to share, please do so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home